March 22, 2015
episode 441 is here, along with two new demo songs, and a feeling that failure somehow holds a potential for inspiration within it. i realize i've said many similar things before, and that i haven't said it right here, yet again. so. maybe trying is all we'll ever have? perhaps.
either way, i'm curious about, and humbled by, our shared experience of struggle - how none of us escapes it - the ambivalences of survival, how we seek satisfaction, can't find it, and how it might very well be better that way.
"the so-called traumatic experience is not an accident, but the opportunity for which the child has been patiently waiting - had it not occurred, it would have found another - in order that its life become a serious matter." - w.h. auden
i hope you'll listen.
- the musician - nick cave
- find more at - nickcave.com
- nick cave's lecture - the secret life of the love song
- the poet - w.h. auden
March 15, 2015
episode 440 is inspired by a radio interview i stumbled upon last week with the author fenton johnson. it was one of those rare moments for me - where i felt a strange/instant blend of familiarity and connection that's hard to explain. i'm curious where those feelings come from. simple reflection? longing? maybe. i wonder.
it feels good to hear others talk about their lives in ways that make sense to ours - to have company, even if at a distance - to know there are others struggling with similar things, working with similar problems, trapped in similar ways. surviving. making something beautiful of it. it feels good just to feel ok sometimes.
if you have time, i hope you'll listen.
- music from kris hauch/norway house - at bandcamp
- the interview with fenton johnson - at npr.org
- the - fenton johnson wiki
- more at - fentonjohnson.com
- the author/musician/actor - henry rollins
- the - henry rollins wiki
- the interview with henry rollins - at nerdist.com
March 08, 2015
"we become kinder the more our own lives grow prone to unkind interpretations."
i like this sentiment quite a lot. and it feels true. there's a sense in which the problems of the world are beyond all of us, and a parallel one in which we're each individually responsible for them. the venn diagram of this fascinates me.
i hope you'll listen.
- find music from ryan (aka dwayne hoover) - at bandcamp
- find music from kris (aka norway house) - at bandcamp
- find more from - alain de botton
- find more about - the school of life
March 01, 2015
a simple q
episode 438 finds me with a handful of new songs. it's a simple podcast. me + a guitar + a feeling related to love, change, loss, and so on. i hope you'll listen.
the songs are:
- swiss vacation
- a simple q
- yes yes yes
February 22, 2015
tonight's podcast (ep 437) is about songwriting and ego and embarrassment, and the inspiration for sharing in the first place. these themes have come up a lot for me over the years, but for some reason, especially this past week. there's a kind of panic that's inherent in being lost, no question. i feel it. but i also think there can be a beauty to it - in the not-giving-up, listening, open-hearted, sense. perhaps, none of us are capable?? might be. but i still want to try. i don't know where that comes from, but i am thankful for it.
i hope you'll listen, and visit kris at the links below!
- be a friend of (kris' band) norway house on - facebook
- find kris music at - bandcamp
February 15, 2015
the 2014 top ten
in celebration of next week's academy awards, i'm very happy to present my top ten list of favourite movies from 2014. episode 436! lists are subjective and passé in many obvious ways, but, even so, i love keeping track, thinking, and sharing movies that delight me. happily, this year had lots of them. the sixteen titles are linked below. i hope you'll listen!
find the music:
-kris hauch (norway house) - on bandcamp
-ryan (dwayne hoover) - on bandcamp
the runners up:
06) - foxcatcher - see the trailer
05) - pride - see the trailer
04) - tim's vermeer - see the trailer
03) - skeleton twins - see the trailer
02) - life itself - see the trailer
01) - the dog - see the trailer
my 2014 top ten:
10) - the trip to italy - see the trailer
09) - a master builder - see the trailer
08) - frank - see the trailer
07) - only lovers left alive - see the trailer
06) - begin again - see the trailer
05) - mr. turner - see the trailer
04) - whiplash - see the trailer
03) - nymphomaniac (volume i & ii) - see the trailer
02) - 20,000 days on earth - see the trailer
01) - boyhood - see the trailer
there'll be more here soon. have a great week!